August 28, 2009

LES shopping

Yesterday, I had a great shopping day; I wandered down to the Lower East Side - a neighborhood that has so many fabulous boutiques, but I really never get to enough!One of my notable stops was Dear:Rivington. I had heard about it from Other Things Pretty and Duskin and was excited to check it out. I'll be honest, I didn't really do my research - I just saw some great pictures and knew that I had to add it to my list of places to see! It did come as a bit of a surprise that it was avant garde with a strong Japanese sense of style. The items there don't work for my personal style but they were so much fun to look at! There is a mix of vintage items as well as new design.

Although my poor roommate was not ready for it!

Quotes from the roommate:"What is this!? a shirt? A dress!?" "Oh come on, no one would actually pay that much for this!?" "Umm, these things look dirty" (they're vintage)So yes, it may have been a bit over the top, but it was fun to see! Another of my wild finds was Craig Van Den Brulle. I mean it's all completely unaffordable. I think the most tame of my loves there is this mirrored dresser. It's only $6,500 (ha) -- and actually one of the only items on the website that didn't say " price:contact dealer".

This set of 6 chairs was one of the items there that I loved because it's insane. I mean I think this only works in maybe Miami or Cali? And what I loved more was learning about the designer behind it. Milo Baughman, born in 1925, grew up in Long Beach, California. Being a creative child, his parents gave him carte blanche at the age of 13 to design their new family home. How wild is that?!

And the last of my crazy loves from the day are these Arthur Court Torchieres. They're just about 3 feet tall! So strange, but I love it!
All in all, I had a great shopping day, there were so many new, strange, unexpected items that I saw. It's just a nice change of pace sometimes!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous finds, miss thing. I nearly never head down to the Lower East to do my shopping. I'll have to check it out!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear is amazing. i love it though.

    ReplyDelete