August 13, 2009

It's AC season, but I'm loving these fireplaces!

I had the lucky experience of waiting at a doctors office last week... and I mean lucky because they had a ton of old design magazines. So between the magazines and the air conditioning, I was quite pleased to spend almost two hours there rather than at my hot apartment!! One of my pretty finds was this Atlanta house owned by interior designer Kay Douglass. It was the gorgeous fireplaces in this home that kept drawing me to it! Kay removed the original green marble which seemed too formal and replaced it with this concrete and salvaged wood mantel. Another gorgeous concrete fireplace is in the library. I'm loving the materials in this outdoor room. The brick work, slate flooring, and woodwork on the ceiling are beautiful and add so much texture and dimension! I also love the mirror and chandelier, I think details like this really help blend the line between interior and exterior spaces.

There is a fourth beautiful fireplace in the master. Having a fireplace really adds such warmth and elegance to a room.


Unfortunately not every pic of the house can have an amazing fireplace, but this shot at least has those stunning french oak doors that lead outside to the loggia.
Steel casement windows in the dining room add for a beautiful detail.


All of the character that this 1932 Tudor exterior has, the bricks, slate roof and vines... I just love it!

Photo credits: Traditional Home OCT 2007
Check out the party at Hooked on Houses!

4 comments:

  1. A fireplace anywhere is fabulous! Thanks for sharing the images.

    Have a good weekend!
    Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the 1932 house, really. The black chandelier with the heart in the bedroom is really odd, the round mirror with the square mirror is odd, the whole room is really odd, to me anyway. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! My favorite is the outdoor room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fireplaces no matter what time of year! The outdoor room is really great, that's actually what I would love to have if I could.

    A bedroom fireplace is a treat. That would certainly be welcome once the nights start cooling off.

    ReplyDelete