February 25, 2010

My dream of dressing in tennis whites has died...

After trying on a tennis dress today and wondering "why does this look so ridiculous on me?" I've come to the realization that I don't even know what a tennis dress is supposed to look like on much less what the tennis fashions are these days...  

Which led me to wonder, who do I want to be my tennis fashion icon? Anna Kournakova maybe a little too sexy, Serena Williams a little too wild.  And then I remembered -- Melanie Oudin and her amazing shoes at the US Open!
You can design your own pair like them at adidas.com!

but  first I'll give you a little background on my relationship with tennis..

I've never actually played.... but when I was college, I came across the CUTEST tennis skirt one summer when I was working in retail. I was looking for any excuse to justify its purchase. I considered wearing it as a running skirt - I mean what could be better than that - wear comfy spandex underneath but not feel so exposed!?!but my friends told me was a completely ridiculous idea...

Funny how now Lulu Lemon has 3 different styles of running skirts on their website...
I TOLD you it was a great idea!!

It was about that same time that my mom told me I was not allowed to start any sports simply because I liked the apparel associated with it.  (Bermuda's were kind of in that summer and I was also considering golf.) That kind of put the tennis thing on hold for awhile, but for Christmas 2 years ago, I asked for a racquet and some sneakers, but found that finding court time in NYC was more of a challenge than I was looking for. 

Now I live where it's warm most of the year and there are tennis courts a plenty! Thus the adventure today in tennis outfit shopping.  

It was just one of those commical things where I started trying dresses on and had to keep sizing up and sizing up until I realized I was never going to be comfortable playing tennis in what is effectively a bathing suit with a 2 inch skirt attached...

I finally ended up with a fairly simple skirt by Nike --- to bring it home and realize that it's labeled a GIRLS size medium, not a womens!? At this point, I'm beyond confused.. but it does explain why it was cheaper than the other ones I was considering! 

Ironic though -- the whole reason I got into tennis is now becoming my biggest obstable!  But regardless, I've got to hit the courts in my girls skirt and ugly sneaks, if only to give myself the reason to invest in a pretty pair like Melanie Oudins!

No comments:

Post a Comment