March 22, 2009

Design Crush: Barbie

I haven't exactly had Barbie on my radar in awhile.. or at all since I was 10, but I just read The Hartford Courant's article on her new Malibu Dream House and it was love! Of course the decor is so silly and flamboyant but I can only hope to still have such a stylish apartment when I turn 50!

Designer Jonathan Adler was hired to style the actual 3,500-square-foot home in Malibu, California as the site for Barbie's 50th birthday celebration. He says "This house is as over the top and as fantastic as it should be for this American icon." Over the top it certainly is, but there are elements of each room that are just fabulous and can be used even if you're a bit more conservative.


Oh Barbie, what a sense of style you have!! I always love a white couch; here it helps all of the bright color and pattern make sense. The pink poodle is hilarious and the mirror above the fireplace is a perfect example of the popular circle shape that is so en vogue right now.
Here is a close-up of the mirror using 65 of the 1959 style Barbie. I will always love the clothing fashions of the 50's.
I love the pink and white stripe lamp shades that Barbie has here in her sitting room. Wouldn't they be adorable in a little girl's room? The corseted chairs are down-right wild, but I'd still love to have this room in my Malibu beach house!
Wait! Let me make a correction to that previous statement; I'd love to have this room with the exception of this hair chandelier. I think this is the creepiest, scariest thing I have ever seen! I mean everyone is allowed a design faux pas now and then, but my god, designer Chris March really missed the boat on this one!
Here's Barbie's bedroom and Yes! You are seeing correctly! That IS a shoe closet FILLED with Christian Louboutins!!! And of course you can never go wrong in any bedroom by using white monogrammed bedding. I also really like the white lamps with black shades - very chic.
If you're looking to add some fun to your home decor, Jonathan Adler will be launching a "Barbie loves Jonathan Adler" collection in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment